Thursday, May 1, 2008

Redemption comes from within

In don't believe in "God."

The reason I say that I don't believe in God is because when people talk about God most of the time (at least here in America) they refer to the Judeo-Roman god, who is way too inconsistent and faulty to be perfect being it's painted to be. But this would apply also to any regional deity, idol, or holy being which has had claims of omniscience.

I could go on and enumerate a number of passages where the flawed condition of this god (or other deities) is evidenced, but there are plenty people doing that already around the blogosphere (and they do a really good job at it, I must say). So, I'll skip that stuff and just move on to the next step in this "process," which is just as important as coming to the realization that:

Judeo-Roman god ≠ Absolute god

Having said that, perhaps I should clarify and state that I don't believe in that particular interpretation of god. If the Judeo-Roman god is not the "true" or "right" god than who/what is?

The idea that an all-powerful omniscient god would choose a group of people over another is preposterous. If we are to talk about an all-powerful, omniscient god, (or related concept) it is safe to say that this being would embrace all living and non-living beings, since all we see (as well as that which we don't) is its creation, and in consequence part of its identity.

So, I am not denying the notion of a greater consciousness, a living force or energy that is responsible for everything we see, and that IS everything we see, and that as such we are part of it. It's just that it is obvious to me that this living energy is beyond dogma and interpretations of ancient books. This force that is ever present as we unfold in time transcends religion and cultures and is not bounded by man-made doctrines. We are part of this force; we are existing second after second, minute after minute in harmony with everything that IS because we ARE one with everything.

I am not one to preach, but I would like to extend an invitation to consider these ideas with an open mind and an open heart and see what happens in you. Do it for an hour perhaps… maybe for a whole day… try it for a week, just for kicks. I'd really like to know what you think.

I have faith in humanity and our relationship with the universe or with whatever is divine, and I consider myself to have a very rich spiritual life in which I find a deeper connection with my environment, people close to me, people I never see in my life, and where I find divinity and happiness all around. I just don't repent and ask forgiveness for sins I never committed, and I definitely do not need a "personal savior" to redeem myself.

Redemption comes from within and from being true to your Self.

No comments: